Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Prompt 42

*Walks in with a cowboy hat and boots on.* Howdy partner! Can you tell I'm really bored today? I recently found a new series about gay teens called the Gay Youth Chronicles by Mark A. Roeder. I highly recommend this series to anyone, whether they're gay or not. His characters are very real, and I can relate a lot to them. If you get a chance, check them out. Currently, he has the book Someone is Watching available a a free e-book on his website, MarkRoeder.com.

Today's prompt is dedicated to all those who have to struggle with coming out. Write about a family who doesn't react well to their child's coming out. Do they kick them out? Send them to be "cured"? Abuse them?

4 comments:

Jess/Jack said...

Aw. Well, Ralph, I'd say that hits on my big fear and why I'm not too out. Do you remember Creative Writing? My whole novel was sort of about a kid whose family acted poorly and kicked him out for being gay. I don't know that you ever read it, did you?
But I'm going to check out those stories.
<3

Ralph Gallagher said...

No! I never read it! You'll have to show it to me some time! I've been reading a lot of gay teen novels lately =P I'm currently reading one about gay werewolves. It's the new Twilight!

Jess/Jack said...

Oh dear, not the werewolves. Nooo! Anything with Werewolves, Vampires and et cetera are just about the dumbest things I've ever read.

So, some good gay teen novels to read if you haven't yet: Boy Meets Boy, Totally Joe... well that's all I own anyway that isn't manga. Damn my lack of money.
Uh, Nick and Norah has a gay subplot-y thing and Debbie Harry Sings in French is about a drag queen.

I could name more movies. They're so much easier to find than books.
Watch the movie My Own Private Idaho. Tonight... right now. It's good.
..yeah. :)

Ralph Gallagher said...

Haha. I'll have to check them out. I love Mark A. Roeder's books. They're very realistic, I can really relate to some of the things his characters feel. J.L. Langley's books are good if you like a cheap romance novel with sex every 2-3 pages. I've read other ones but for some damned reason I can't think of them when I want to. I'll probably remember the name of them at like 2am.

Advertisement

Join Associated Content